Holy Rosary School opened in 1923, and functioned as both the church and parish school until the construction of the new Cathedral of Our Lady of the Rosary (1957). Seven Dominican sisters from an order based in Springfield, Illinois were invited by Bishop McNicholas to teach the children of the parish. They traveled by train and established a convent at the old Sinclair Lewis home, within walking distance of the school campus. Over 30 sisters served faithfully until the order formally withdrew in 2006. The first lay principal was hired in 2006. Since its founding, over 3,000 students have graduated from HRS, enriched by the school with the tradition and excellence that a Catholic school education offers. Holy Rosary students and graduates continue to share their gifts and talents in their personal and professional lives with the communities in which they live.